At the end of each calendar year, Animana automatically generates an empty book for the new year. As it’s blank, you will need to transition everything from your current book year into the next. This article will explain what is needed to close your current book year and how to transition everything into the next year when your accountant has finalised your annual report.
Before you start
In a newly created book, all ledgers will be copied, however, the balance of that new year is empty and will not be automatically transferred. You will need to enter the amounts in the ledger scheme manually.
1. Enter cash/bank start amounts manually
When you receive approval from your accountant, the end balance from the previous year can be copied into the ledger scheme of the new year. However, your accountant will not have that information ready on January 1st. In order to start processing financial information immediately in the new year, you can already enter start amounts in Animana manually.
Animana will automatically copy the end amount of cash ledgers with the payment option ‘cash’ from December 31st to January 1st, but only if the location is entered in the ledger details. For all other payment ledgers, the start amount has to be entered manually as described below.
- Go to > Financial > Ledger Scheme.
- Select the book year you want to add information to. The book year you are currently working on is displayed in bold at the top. This matches the system date unless you have selected a different book year at an earlier moment. Make sure you always check this before entering data.
- Click on the ledger number you want to add a start amount for.
- This will open the details for this ledger. Here you can enter the start amount.
- Click Save.
If needed, you can repeat these steps for the ‘card’, ‘debtors’, and ‘creditors’ ledgers.
When journal entries/corrections are entered and updated in the previous book year, you can copy the end balance into the new book year (see next step).
2. Copy start amounts
In order to copy the ending balance of the previous year as a start amount for the next year, follow these steps:
- Make sure the ending balances are correct (check with your accountant).
- Update your financial data of the previous year. Go to > Financial > Balance and click Start Job.
Then go to > Financial > Ledger Scheme.
- Select the new book year at the top and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.
- Click Copy Start Amount Ledger Numbers.
- You will see a table with the balances of the different ledgers.
- The column “Debit Prev” shows the end ledger amount of the previous book year.
The column “Debit Now” shows the current/manual entry of the start amount.
If you want, you can change the start amount manually in the column “Debit”.
- Scroll down and click Save.
As long as a book year is not officially closed you can keep making changes to previous book years. When these changes affect the current book year (balance accounts) do not forget that you also have to adjust the start amount of the current book year.
3. Closing a book year
I. Checklist of things to prepare beforehand
Before you can even think about closing a book year, you need to do the following first:
- Check your bank statements and process them in Animana.
- Check your VAT declaration and other taxes that need to be paid and process them in Animana.
- Check your till and book possible differences.
- Write off/clear bad debtors if needed. For more information, read the article: How do I clear bad debtors?
- Do a stock count. Preferably at the end of the year, or at the beginning of a new year and check the value of your stock. For more information, read the article: How do I perform a stock count at the end of a book year?
- Check private expenses and book them.
- Book any depreciation.
II. Check your cash/bank balance
- Make sure all your receipts and invoices are booked into Animana.
- Go to > Financial > Balance cash/bank > Bank > All Transactions.
- Check if the total amount displayed at the bottom matches the number that is shown on the financial overview of your bank account.
- Go to > Financial > Balance cash/bank > Cash> All Transactions. Check if the total amount that you see here matches the number that is shown in your last day overview of the year (you can go to > Financial > Day overview List to check).
- Go to > Financial > Balance cash/bank > Safe (suspense account) > All Transactions. Check if the number on the ‘safe (suspense account)’ matches the total amount of money in your safe.
- Repeat above instructions for any other payment/suspense ledgers available.
III. Send the information to your accountant
When you have processed and checked all the financial information in your account as described above, you will need to send the information to your accountant. Most accountant offices can handle audit files. You can export such an audit file from Animana.
- Go to > Financial > Export Audit File.
- Scroll down and choose your preferred book year.
- Click Make Audit File.
- You might get a notification that you have to update the financial data first.
In that case, click Start Job.
- You will see a progress report.
- You will return to the overview of audit files and your audit file will have been added to the list.
- Click to save the file on your computer.
- You can then attach it to an email to your accountant. Or you can provide your accountant with access to Animana so that they can retrieve the file themselves (and make any necessary edits). See the More about this section on how to do this.
Alternatively, you can also get an overview of all the information by following these steps.
- Go to > Financial > Balance Sheet.
- Scroll down and check all the boxes by clicking Select All.
- Click Export.
- Select a period and click Export Balance Sheet.
- An Excel download will start automatically. You can save the document on your computer and send the file to your accountant. Or you can provide your accountant with access to Animana so that they can retrieve the file themselves (and make any necessary edits). See the More about this section on how to do this.
IV. Wait for approval of your accountant
Before continuing you should wait for an official approval by your accountant.
V. Close book year
When your accountant has given his final approval you can close the book year by going to > Financial. Click Close [year] behind the book year you want to close.
More about this
How do I give my accountant access to my Animana account?
If you want, it is possible to give your accountant access to your Animana account so that he can collect the financial data himself.
- Go to > General Settings > Role Management.
- Click Add User Role at the top.
- Give this role a name, for instance ‘Accountant’, and click Save.
- A new role column will have been added called ‘Accountant’.
- All the permissions for this role will be open by default. This is represented by a green lock.
- Make sure to close all the permissions except the financial permissions. You can open or close a permission by clicking on the lock. This will change the lock from (open, permission granted) to (locked, no permission).
- Go to > General Settings > User Management.
- You will see the list of users.
- Scroll down and click New User.
- Enter the information of the accountant.
- Make sure to select the role ‘Accountant’.
- Click Save.
- Send the login details to your accountant.