Sometimes a payment is accidentally linked to the wrong invoice. This article tells you how to correct a direct payment that is linked to the wrong invoice.
Should you need to correct a bank payment, please read this article: How do I correct a bank payment?.
Before you start
You need permission to be able to edit payments. Permissions can be adjusted by practice administrators in > General Settings > Role Management.
As an example, we will discuss how to correct the payment when it has been linked to the wrong invoice belonging to the same client.
- Go to the client file.
In this example, we have linked a cash payment of £8.22 to invoice S-2018-0051 where it should have been linked to invoice S-2018-0048.
- Click on the invoice that you have incorrectly set a payment against. In this example, that is S-2018-0051.
- Click on the tab Payments.
- Click on the trash icon behind the payment to delete it.
- Click OK when asked to confirm.
The payment has now been deleted from the invoice it was accidentally linked to. Now we have to link the payment to the correct invoice.
- Click on the Client File tab.
- Click on the invoice that was actually paid.
As the payment of the wrong invoice has been deleted, you will see that both invoices are now both open invoices. Click on the invoice that was actually paid, in this example that is S-2018-0048.
- Scroll down and click Payment.
- Click on the correct payment option.
- Select the correct invoice from the list of open invoices for this client by ticking the corresponding box.
- Check that the date of the payment, the payment type and your name as “accepted by” is correct. Adjust when needed.
- Click Save.
You will now return to the client file. In our example, the correct invoice, S-2018-0048, has now been fully paid and therefore, its colour is black. The invoice that was originally processed as paid, S-2018-0051, is now set to open again and has turned red.