Depending on whether or not you allow it clients can pay their invoices via a bank transfer. This article explains how to process a bank payment for an invoice.
Before you start
- Go to > Financial > Balance Cash / Bank
- In the bankbooks section, click on Add New Transaction of the Bank.
- You will be presented with a list of unpaid invoices.
- Scroll down to find the correct invoice. Alternatively, you can search for the client in the search box at the top left. Enter at least 3 characters to get the search going.
- Select the correct invoice by clicking on it once. The payment details will be automatically filled in the box on the right-hand side:
By default, the date of payment is set to today, but usually you will be processing payments received by bank at a later date, so make sure to change the “Paid on” date to the date the payment was received, as mentioned on your bank statement.
- Check if the received amount is the (remaining) amount of the invoice. By default, the remaining amount is entered in the “Amount” field.
- Enter the number of the bank statement in the box “No.”. This field is mandatory.
- Click on Save to book the payment.
You will remain on the same page, but you can see that the payment has been processed because it is listed at the bottom of the page, along with all the other payments of that same bank statement.
You can navigate away from this page, payments listed at the bottom have automatically been saved against the correct client and invoice.
More about this
Processing payments that are not the exact invoice amount
Should the client have transferred more than the invoice amount, you can enter the received amount in the box “Amount” and then check the box “Book difference” at the bottom. This will complete the invoice as fully paid and not leave a credit.
Should you want to leave the credit, then enter the amount but do not check the box “Book difference”.
Should the client make a partial payment and transfer less than the remaining invoice amount, enter the amount received in the box “Amount” and make sure that you do not check the box “Book difference”. This will leave an open amount on this client’s record.
Should the client make a payment that is less than the remaining invoice amount but the difference is only a few cents and you do not wish to follow up on this, you can check the box “Book difference” before clicking Save. This will make sure that the invoice is marked as fully paid and this client will not pop up in the debtors list with only a few cents left on the invoice.
When you tick the box “Book difference” amounts will be registered on ledger 4700 (Payment Differences).
Description of bank payments
You can add a description to a bank payment while processing it. You can enter this information in the field “Description” (please refer to the image above).
This description will be shown in the bank statement overview at the bottom of the screen.
Also, it will show on the Payment Update screen (Client file > open invoice by clicking on it > Payments tab > click on payment).